When can I develop in the floodplain?

Flood Plain Development

Any development in a flood plain carries a risk of increasing flood elevations and causing damage to the development and nearby properties.  The City of Garland is committed to the concept of "zero-rise" flood plain development.  

This means that any development within a flood plain in Garland must ensure that no rises in 100-year water surface elevations occur as a result of it.  This is normally accomplished by balancing fill in the flood plain with excavation.  A flood study must be prepared by a state-licensed professional engineer.   The flood study analyzes the development's impact on the floodplain. 

Prior to Construction

Prior to any construction, the flood study is submitted to and approved by the Engineering Department.  These requirements apply to FEMA-designated Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHA), as well as smaller flood plains within the City that do not appear on FEMA-published Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs).  Section  3.86 of the Garland Development Code contains the requirements that must be met in order to secure a Flood Plain Development Permit.  

In addition, any development project within a FEMA SFHA must conform to all FEMA requirements outlined in Section 44 of the Code of Federal Regulations (44 CFR), chapters 59 through 78.

Show All Answers

1. What is a 100-year floodplain?
2. What is a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA)?
3. Am I required to carry flood insurance?
4. Is my home or business in the floodplain?
5. My mortgage company says my home or business is in the floodplain, but I disagree. What can be done to address this?
6. How do I obtain an Elevation Certificate?
7. When can I develop in the floodplain?
8. What is a Floodplain Development Permit?
9. What is the difference between FEMA designated zones A, AE, X (shaded), and X?
10. What is the floodway?
11. What is a LOMA, LOMR, LOMR-F, or CLOMR?